Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for many can be a back breaking task and many questions arise while looking out onto your yard area to view an empty plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This short article will attempt to answer a number of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Should I Need to Take away the Old Lawn. Yes, You must remove the old lawn. Removing the old lawn will guarantee that whenever you plant the new lawn the roots can penetrate through the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you have to consider the grade where your yard currently sits and also the volume of soil that you must install for the new lawn. In some special instances when you could give a layer of new soil without having to be above grade, you could leave the present lawn in place. New lawns will demand the absolute minimum depth of three inches of any well draining soil, rich in nutrients. Most lawn removals can be completed by using sod cutter, using a bobcat as well as an excavator in hard to access yards may be a hazard and might create more work than initially planned.
Soil For Your New Lawn. Soil for the new lawn is very important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your brand new lawn will see much better growth over time if a quality top soil is installed. Oftentimes the better expensive the soil, the higher quality.
The ideal lawn ought to be constructed with at the very least 3″ of a well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at the very least 70% sand and the sub grade should be self draining. Soils which contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter should be avoided. Soils that have paper recycling waste and also a strong odor ought to be avoided too. Typically topsoil today is created from compost, be sure to ask your supplier the valuables in the soil and make certain the composting process is finished. A soil analysis with a neutral ph balance should be requested from your supplier.
Form of Sod or Seed. Sod or also referred to as turf is the preferred approach to installing a brand new lawn. Sod may be installed throughout the year and turf farms are available to supply year round.
The variety of grass seed or sod to make use of depends on:
1. The use of your lawn area. This consists of the amount of traffic that the lawn area is subjected to, including pets and children.
2. The quantity of sunlight that your particular lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive a minimum of 70% in the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures inside your climate.
In most cases turf which comes coming from a sod farm or supplier will carry many different sod that is perfect for residential usages. Sod farms will grow kinds of grasses that fair well for new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some instances specialty grasses are for sale to low maintenance. Make sure to ask…
The Best Way To Install the Sod. Installing a whole new lawn can be completed by using these simple steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls and so the seams tend not to match near the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little bit more work and spending some extra time pulling the joints of the turf rolls together will guarantee the grass covers each of the soil. In the event you leave gaps between the turf rolls, weeds may grow inside the bare patches of soil. Sod installation can be quite a difficult job if you don’t take the time to accomplish it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into place using a sharp knife. You might niugpu the scraps to fill in other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together over time. You do not have to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod when you install. Do not allow the turf dry at any point. When the sod is permitted to dry up, shrinkage may occur on the seams and the turf may die. Installing sod on the hot day might require frequent watering so make sure you are prepared in advance.
5. Roll the brand new lawn once you complete laying turf. Installing a whole new lawn could be a very rewarding task and provides instant beautification for any property.